Announcement on the PhD scholarship in the NCN (National Science Centre, Poland) OPUS17 Project No 2019/33/B/ST4/02843
A competition for the NCN PhD scholarship within the NCN OPUS 17 project, entitled: “Phospho-Friedel-Crafts/Bradsher reaction – a new member of the heteroatom family” in the Divison of Organic Chemistry, the Center of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, Łódź, Poland.
Name of the position: a PhD student (2 positions)
1. Completed Master’s degree in:
(1) chemistry with specialisation in organic chemistry,
(2) in chemistry or physics with specialisation in organic chemistry, physical chemistry, material chemistry (e.g. optoelectronic materials, nanomaterials) or in related disciplines, subject to a parallel interest in organic synthesis, in the last 3 years (possibly, a student of the 5-year full-time Master’s degree in chemistry).
2. Fancy to work in organic synthesis and with measuring equipment (UV spectrometer, spectrofluorimeter).
3. Knowledge of analytical techniques (NMR, MS, UV, IR, welcome absorption/emission spectroscopy, DFT, TGA).
4. Fluency in oral and written English.
5. Ability to creative work in a team.
6. The willingness to undertake research in the field of organic materials chemistry (synthesis and organic materials properties investigations) in the Functional Materials Synthesis Team, Centre of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, Łódź, Poland.
7. Status of PhD student or to be able to apply to Doctoral School in Lodz.
Description of tasks:
We are looking for a person to work in the National Science Centre (Poland) project. The person receiving the scholarship will take part in the following tasks:
1. Synthetic work according to the project schedule (preparation of substrates and synthesis of organic materials from the group of (hetero)acenes in the innovative phospho-Friedel-Crafts/Bradsher reaction).
2. Investigation of properties of the obtained organic materials from the group of (hetero)acenes: physicochemical, thermal (DSC, TGA), spectroscopic, optical (photoluminescence, photoluminescence life time and quantum yield, photochemical stability) properties.
3. Preparation of reports, scientific publications, presentations for conferences, patent applications.
4. Tasks resulting from the duties of a student at the BioMedChem Doctoral School.
Conditions of employment:
NCN scholarship: 4000 PLN/month for 30 months
Place of work: Centre of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences (CMMS, PAS), Division of Organic Chemistry, Functional Materials Synthesis Group
Type of project: Opus 17, ST4
The leader of the project: prof. Piotr Bałczewski, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Project funding period: two and a half years (30 months)
– CMMS, PAS does not provide housing.
Deadline for submission of offers: continuous recruitment until 23 October 2020
Deadline for the competition: Applications will be considered in a continuous selection procedure in the order in which they are submitted. Once 2 persons have been selected, the competition is deemed to be settled.
Starting date: November 2020
Form of submission: Applications for the competition should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com, with a copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: ” NCN PhD student in DChO”. Please, attach the required documents in the PDF format. Selected candidates may be invited for an interview during the competition procedure. The leader of the project reserves the right to cancel the procedure without giving reasons.
1. Cover letter with contact details and brief justification of willingness to participate in the project relating to the requirements.
2. Curriculum Vitae – CV taking into account scientific achievements, including publications in scientific journals, distinctions resulting from scientific research, scholarships, awards and scientific experience gained outside the home scientific unit in Poland or abroad, workshops and scientific training, participation in research projects.
3. A copy of diploma or official document confirming the award of the Master’s degree.
4. At least one letter of recommendation from the supervisor/promoter or tutor directly working with the applicant, together with his/her contact details.
Please include the following clause in your application documents: “I agree to the processing of my personal data by the Centre of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences, Łódź, Poland, NIP: 7240004662, ul. Sienkiewicza 112, 90-363 Łódź, in order to conduct this recruitment process”.
The controller of your personal data is Centre of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences with its registered office in Łódź, Poland, NIP: 7240004662 (the “Institute”). The Institute will process your data for the purpose of carrying out scientific and research activities, providing services and contact with the Institute, on the basis of a contract (in connection with the performance of the contract or in order to take action on your request before the contract is concluded – Article 6, paragraph 1, letter b) of GDPR), the legitimate interest of the Institute (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter f) of the GDPR) and legal provisions (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter c) of the GDPR) – depending on the circumstances. You have the right to: request access to your data, receive a copy of it; rectify (correct) it; delete it; limit its processing; transfer it; lodge a complaint to the supervisory body; withdraw your consent for processing at any time (withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out prior to its withdrawal) or to lodge an objection to data processing.